September 30, 2010

Is The Pendulum Swinging?

I'm sure web maniacs must be having a hysterectomy over a piece in the New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell called Small Change.

Gladwell challenges some of the nonsense of social media zealots about the web's power to affect important social changes.

I am not going to waste your time by writing a crappy abbreviated version of it. Instead you should read it.

Also, I suggest you read "The Rise of Skepticism" by Stuart Thursby on the Applied Arts Wire.

Thursby writes very cogently about how finally some people within the advertising and marketing community are starting to question the new orthodoxy.

I hope Thursby is right, but I'm afraid he is a little too optimistic in his expectation of a "tipping point into stability."

I think the trend toward unquestioned faith in new age marketing doctrine is actually gathering momentum and those of us who question it will be further marginalized.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see that there are people who are starting to ask questions.

Win A Free Drink...
Speaking of Stuart Thursby, a free drink to the first person who can identify Floyd Thursby. No Googling!

No comments: